Our rich legacy of over 100 years emanates from a modest beginning, when, in 1902, at the age of 20, Herman C. Smith, began the company in a blacksmith shop in the small town of Whittier, California. An unexpected business developed in his shop when oil was discovered in surrounding towns. The local drilling operators needed crude fishtail bits sharpened and Herman had the required skills. Applying his knowledge of metals, Herman used his equipment for oil tool modification and improvement. At times he designed and constructed new tools on demand.
From that modest beginning, Smith grew into a globally-diversified, Fortune 500 oilfield tools and services company, with corporate headquarters located in Houston, Texas. In August 2010, Smith merged with Schlumberger, the leading supplier of technology, integrated project management, and information solutions to customers working in the oil and gas industry worldwide.
H.C. Smith founded the company with a mission and philosophy that continue to this day: “…we have dedicated ourselves to the task of creating and perfecting tools and equipment that will lessen the burden and increase the efficiency of drilling for all our customers.”